Books, in the time of COVID-19

The world is currently more upside down than a 5yo on monkeybars. Billions of lives have changed, and only time will tell how many of those will be so forever.



But, as one of my all-time biggest heroes Albus Dumbledore once said, "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

So today we're paying homage to the great wizard himself, amongst others, and I'm taking you on a whistle-stop tour of my bookshelf - which may well be the only type of touring any of us are doing for a while.



These guys are the guardians of my bookshelf.
Black Elephant: Nonnas from Africa
Zebra: Painted by my Mum when she was little
Tiny Horse: Gift from Greece
Brown Elephants: Salvos

Bookshelf Favourites



Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen

This belonged to my Mum, who was given it by hers, and now it lives on my shelf. It's the most beautiful, special book I own, and I read it at least once a year.
The characters are so imperfect, and real, and Lizzie B was truly ahead of her time strong-independent-woman-wise.

Read it if you haven't. Or for your own sake at least watch an adaption.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Pride-Prejudice-Jane-Austen-ebook/dp/B084DS5K3S/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3FC4QSCQDJB3A&keywords=pride+and+prejudice&qid=1585703328&sprefix=pride+%2Caps%2C792&sr=8-4



Thursday Next series - Jasper Fforde

If you fancy escaping the reality we're currently faced with (quite frankly no one could blame you) I recommend a healthy dose of Thursday Next, her quite bananas/wonderful family, pet dodo Pickwick - and of course following her throughout her various escapades in the literary landscape.

Stay with me lads.

The basic premise is that Thursday lives in an alternate reality of our world, where villains can spring out of a page and bookworms are actual worms and not people who love books. I'm not really doing a very good job of selling it, but please at least try the first few paragraphs.

Oh - and once you come back to this world, answer this question in the comments. What do Dodos most like to eat?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Eyre-Affair-Thursday-Next-Book-ebook/dp/B002V091VG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=thursday+next&qid=1585702642&sr=8-2


Horses Never Lie - Mark Rashid

If you work or live with animals, people or aliens, you need to read this book. Its instant appeal tends more towards those who love horses, as many of the stories that Mark uses to illustrate his points are horse based; but even if you think horses are the devil with four legs I promise you that you'll learn a lot from its pages.

He's got his own unique brand of practical psychology, and what it means to be a leader - how to lead with kindness and example instead of pain and fear. But this book isn't about judgement, it's about understanding, and I know that I wouldn't be the person I am today without it.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Horses-Never-Lie-Passive-Leadership-ebook/dp/B005IPKPSE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=horses+never+lie&qid=1585703549&sr=8-1



Robert Langdon Novels - Dan Brown

If you'd prefer a distraction which is more in this realm, then how about some thriller style pop-fiction.

To be fair, I'm sure everyone and their mother has read at least one of these books (there was even a made-for-TV movie Kath & Kim did that was Da Vinci Code themed), but that's because they're as solid as they come - interesting, exciting and easy enough to read. The 'Lethal Weapon' of the book world, if you will.

Also - if you've not read Inferno, you absolutely must - it's always been the one that made me think the most.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Inferno-Robert-Langdon-Book-4-ebook/dp/B00B1AHNVC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=inferno+dan+brown&qid=1585703923&sr=8-1

















Molly Moon series - Georgia Byng

Here we have another author who's talent for making this mundane world sparkle will spring off paper and directly into your brain. Molly, the main character, and her best friend Rocky live in an orphanage with a horrible toothless orphanage-mistress, and like to imagine a better world.

Well - it's not long into the first book that Molly finds a way to try and make it all come true.

I know these are technically kids books, but they're well written and are so immersive that I don't think age really comes into the readership equation.

https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=Molly+moon&ref=nb_sb_noss


Sherlock Holmes series - Anthony Horowitz

So, some of you may recognise these two names. Sherlock Holmes because, duh, how could you not have heard of the deer-hat wearing detective and his sidekick Watson. And Mr Horowitz because he has written an absolute shit tonne of books, and some telly to boot.

I was given the House of Silk years ago, and didn't read it for a while as I was expecting a knock-off storyline and some cringeworthy faux-old-timey language.

Well, the joke was most certainly on me, because both books in the series are written flawlessly and the plots will have you on the edge of the couch one second and quivering under the covers the next.

I will put a TW out there though, House of Silk has some pretty rough themes, so maybe read the spoiler I've put in the footnotes* before you dive in.

https://www.amazon.com.au/House-Silk-Richard-bestseller-Sherlock-ebook/dp/B005I5482S/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=anthony+horowitz+house+of+silk&qid=1585705103&sr=8-2






































Harry Potter series - J.K.Rowling

I don't think there's more universally recognisable series of books on the planet, and if you're into books, I'm sure you've read at least one of these tomes. And that, ladies and gents, is because they are some of the most superbly written, absolutely spellbinding (ha, see what I did there) stories of all time.

If you're as old as I am, you'll probably remember waiting in a masssssssive queue outside the local bookshop on release days to get your hands on the next installation, then spending the next however-many-hours devouring it, while time and reality slipped into the background like a big watercolour blur.

All of my copies are well-thumbed and faded, their spines fully cracked and pages covered in many a mystery tea drop. I also have the audiobooks (they're read by Stephen Fry, who is undoubtedly the JK Rowling of the narration world), and you best believe that I listen and/or read these bad boys at least once per lap I make around the sun.

One of my friends once pointed out to me that no matter what was happening in life, Harry Potter would always be there for me, and she was damn right - through separations, sickness, sunshine (and now it seems, the oncoming march of an apocalypse) HP has done nothing but.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Harry-Potter-Philosophers-Stone-Book/dp/B017V5G2XU/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1585706328&sr=8-1



Books I'm Gonna Finish


Everyone's got these. The books that sit on your shelf, unfinished, and stare morosely back at you when you pass them over to read your favourite novel for the gazillionth time. They're paper-backed vessels of guilt, and I refuse to let them hold anything over me any more! Either I will read them in the next few months, or I'll find them new adoptive parents.

Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams
I really, really need to give this novel another chance. Firstly, because the Netflix show was completely brilliant (think Doctor Who, but with a tinge of Men in Black). Plus, I loved Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (same author), in fact I've read the whole trilogy several times - but for some reason I just couldn't sink into this book as much as those.

The Secret Garden - E. Hodgson Burnett
Well, it's a classic isn't it. This copy is my Mums, and I'm sure she's wondering where it's gotten to as I borrowed it about four years ago. I vaguely remember reading illustrated, and greatly shortened, versions of this when I was little, and for some reason I really want to re-read it in full as an adult. But there are so many other books I'm intruigued by which keep skipping the queue. Perhaps it's because I remember it as quite a sad story.

A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
Ah, yes. Another TW** then. Again, I read and loved another of Nick Hornbys books (Hi Fidelity), but somehow just doesn't do it for me. I've read about halfway, but I don't find the theme and humour well-balanced, and the style of narration is really jarring (it jumps from character to character, something which I generally dislike in a book, but that I think really hinders this one especially). It's one that I can appreciate, as the author examines human-kind and our imperfections with complete, and sometimes uncomfortable, honesty - but it's at the bottom of my reading list. Maybe one day.



Currently Reading

Happy procrastinating lads!
At the moment I'm making my way through Good Omens, which was written by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman. It's set in the real world, but it's definitely a work of their considerable imaginations.

Basic premise so far, an angel and a devil (who have been on Earth for as long as mankind) are locked in a weird acquaintance-friendship, which is heightened as they face the fast approaching end of the world and band together to find a 10 year old Antichrist, all the while realising they actually quite like it here,



Well, I hope that this gave y'all a few ideas of worlds to dive into while we wait for all this to blow over***, and please lettuce know if you'd like me to do one of these, but with telly or movies instead.

All the best in your various hibernations, or essential servicing of the planet. Here's hoping things go a bit more right-side-up soon.

Lots of love,
Loz xx


*TW - child abuse. I couldn't handle The Alienist (on Netflix) for a similar reason, but this wasn't too overwhelming for me to read. 

**TW - suicide

*** Please, dear lord or whatever higher being you are, tell me that you have watched the topical cinematic masterpiece that is Shaun the Dead. If not, immediately close this blog and go rent it on iTunes or something

Comments